The Mecum Kissimmee Auction, the world’s largest classic and collector car auction, held Jan. 15-24, was a powerful force to be reckoned with claiming the title of highest-grossing sale ever hosted by Mecum. Overall sales totals topped $91 million and are quickly closing in on $93 million with post-auction sales. The 10-day auction totals constitute a near 30-percent increase over last year’s Kissimmee auction with individual vehicle sale prices up by an average of 20 percent. The two full Road Art-exclusive days brought outstanding sales in the memorabilia realm as well with 1,300 items sold and top sales including a rare porcelain sign and a vintage gas pump globe, each of which sold for $55,000.
“The jump in totals, the rise in individual vehicle values and the 78-percent sell-through rate we achieved are evidence of the extremely high quality of the vehicles and Road Art offered at the 2016 event as well as the strong demand. It’s a clear indication of the thriving state of both the collector-car and memorabilia markets,” notes Mecum Auctions’ President and Founder Dana Mecum.
Nearly every segment of popular interest was represented at the auction including European exotics, Resto Mods, Supercars and of course Mecum’s bread-and-butter: muscle cars and Corvettes, both of which made a strong showing in the top 10 sales.
The complete top 10 sales at the Mecum Kissimmee 2016 auction include (individual prices do not include buyer’s premiums):
- 1970 Plymouth Hemi Cuda Convertible (Lot F109) at $2,675,000
- 1971 Plymouth Hemi Cuda Convertible (Lot F102) at $2,300,000
- 1970 Dodge Hemi Challenger R/T Convertible (Lot F111) at $1,650,000
- 1971 Plymouth Hemi Cuda (Lot F100) at $950,000
- 1963 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Tanker (Lot S160) at $710,000
- 1969 Dodge Hemi Coronet R/T Convertible (Lot F100) at $625,000
- 1969 Dodge Hemi Daytona (Lot F103) at $550,000
- 1970 Ford Torino King Cobra (Lot F104) at $525,000
- 1970 Plymouth Cuda Convertible (Lot F113) at $475,000
- 1970 Dodge Challenger R/T Convertible (Lot F114) at $450,000